For instructors here at UChicago, preparing for the new quarter can be a hectic process. In order to make the technology side of that process as quick and stress-free for you as possible, we’d like to offer a few handy resources for some of the most common concerns that come up for instructors before a new term.

When will my course be created in Canvas?

Canvas course sites are not created automatically, but instructors can easily create them. ​​To create your Canvas course site, go to courses.uchicago.edu and click on the Create Your Course Site Now button. Then follow the prompts to select the course for which you want to create a Canvas site. You can also view the video that covers that process in less than a minute!

I tried to create my course site, but it isn’t working. Why can’t I create my Canvas course site?

• If the course doesn’t show up when you enter your CnetID, you may not be listed as the instructor of record yet in AIS. You can check the Registrar Schedule to confirm and reach out to your department if an update is needed. Your department may have to contact the Registrar’s Office to resolve the issue.
  • If you see the course when you enter your CnetID, but get an error message when you try to create it, please contact ATS.

How can I get the content from my previous course copied to a new one?

You can copy materials from a past Canvas course to a new one easily. In your destination course, go to Settings → Import Course Content and select Copy a Canvas Course. For step-by-step instructions, see Course-to-Course Copying in Canvas: A Quick Guide. We also offer a brief video walkthrough of this process!

Can I re-use Panopto videos from previous quarters?

Yes! There are a few ways to do this, and the best choice depends on your use case, so please see our knowledge base article or video documentation.

How can my students change their names in Canvas?

Students can change their display name in my.uchicago.edu. You can see instructions from the Registrar’s Office for more information.

How do I create a course blog?

Faculty and instructors can request class blogs for their courses by filling out our short request form, and one of our staff will respond within 3 business days.

How do I add library reserves to my Canvas site?

You can add new library reserves to your class by completing the Library’s form in Canvas. You can also copy reserves from your previous Canvas course if desired. The Library asks that you submit your requests as early as possible. See the Library’s instructions for more information. If you have any questions about reserves, please contact e-reserves@lib.uchicago.edu.

A brief note on Canvas Quizzes:

If you’re an instructor who uses Canvas Quizzes, you should also be aware that a new quiz engine with more question types will be available in Canvas. While the classic quiz feature will still be available for now, please feel free to review our knowledge base article on New Quizzes and try the new features for yourself!

You can also check out our other FAQs for more help! For additional assistance with preparing for the new quarter, please contact ATS or drop by our Office Hours.

Image by Joshua Miranda from Pixabay